My mother has been making amazing banana bread for years and although I'm not much of a baker (or cook for that matter!) I think it's about time I got some practice. So yesterday I thought I would give it ago!
What you'll need for one loaf, around 10 slices:
500g (2 cups) flour
250g (1 cup) sugar
120g butter or margarine
3 large, very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
7g (1 and a half teaspoons) baking powder
5g (1 teaspoon) bicarbonate of soda
Pinch of salt
What to do:
1. Cream the butter and and sugar in a bowl until the texture is light and creamy.
2. Stir in the mashed bananas and beat to combine thoroughly.
3. Beat in the eggs one at a time. I find it's best to blend the mixture by hand.
4. Sift the flour and pinch of salt into the mixture and stir well.
5. Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in the water (room temperature will do fine) and stir into the mixture, then stir in the baking powder.
6. Pour the mixture into a greased loaf tin or a cake tin if you don't have a loaf tin. Hey, just call it banana cake :)
7. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees celcius, 350 degrees farenheit or gas mark 4 for around 45 minutes. However in a fan assisted oven which I used to bake this it took around 30 minutes, Just keep an eye on it!
8. When it's cooked, let to cool for around 5 minutes before removing from the tin and placing on a wire rack to cool further.
Best served with a layer of butter and a cup of tea but equally as yummy without the butter :) You can see it in action when we went camping in Buttermere.
Let me know if any of you guys make it, I would love to see!